Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Brazil... eu te amo

Aug 29th:
I love Brazil, i should just get a tattoo (just kidding, that whole on you for life thing is scary) and i have only been here for a day and have had a wonderful time. I woke up at exactly 9am and started to eat the cereal that was on the table for me, but then my mom,Carla,brings me coffee and milk, then watermelon, then some juice of some topical fruit, and then fry's an egg and gives my butter bread to put it egg on. To say the least it was a never ending breakfast and was a bit overwhelming. After that i got ready and we picked up my grandparents here and she drove me around a tour of the lower city as my grandpa tried to describe the entire Brazilian history of bahia in 40 minutes. We stopped by a wonderful little shop where they but me soverete de coco, coconut ice cream, the best in the world pretty much. We all drove to my aunts house, like 4 buildings over to mine where we picked up a couple more people and drove to lunch.
We drove around and ended up on a hill and went into a small door that was covered my tent-like material and it looked like a house (which i later realized that it was) where a lady named dona zuzu lives with her extended family ( she is 104) and makes food for a restaurant, she is really famous here they said. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get the food but Brazilians don't seem to mind, they drank like 2 liters of beer each before the food so they didn't really notice, or maybe it was because they were all dancing... who knows. So when the food came it was amazing, fresh, delicious, and tasty. I met my whole family here, like 20 of them at least, and but the end of our 4 hour lunch there were 9 left, myself included. So we went to the car and drove home. But we didn't get there because as we turned the corner, the rest of the 9 (of whom 5 were in the car) couldn't find a taxi so my mom told them to get in. 9 people in a car, wow, i mean if they fit your going i guess, my uncle told me that this was Brazil and as we dodged the police on the way home my legs feel asleep, but it was so funny that i didn't care. We drove to my aunts house and after that long lunch, they started cooking more meat to eat and drinking more beer. My cousins who are siblings also started fighting about soccer with my brother, Paulo, in the fastest Portuguese ever. To say the least, i almost understood nothing, but everything at the same time, maybe its the excitement in the voices or i can read minds, either way works. Overall i feel like i got to know Brazil in a day and i already want to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment