Monday, August 30, 2010

Brazil's beginnings

Aug 28th
So i feel like the last 2 days have been squished together, and to add to that awkward feeling the plane ride from buenos aires to Salvador was awful because i was a bit sick and it basically felt as if my brains were being pulled out through my nose and then my eyebrows, so it hurt a lot. Bryant and I met 2 of the girls that were in our program on the plane to Salvador so we all shared a taxi together which was fun because we were all pretty close together even though we had just met. But it got the job done and for 100 reias we all were safely (if you consider not getting hit by traffic safe) delivered to the hotel in the middle of the city. The hotel is amazing, it has a floating bar, isn’t that cool?! You take like a little tram down in the cove like area and they have a dock where there is a water slide and then you can drink beer and eat fish while you go swimming. Pretty Brazilian or at least I think so. Some of the group then went to the beach and it was my first time in the Atlantic Ocean and it was so salty, I was not expecting that! It got in my eyes, mouth, and I had a cut on my leg and that didn’t feel good! Well I guess I will get accustomed to it. The beach an experience though, a guy asked me if I wanted a ride in his kayak and Brazilians have this real strong eye contact thing going on that would make anyone a little more than nervous. The next morning we had an American breakfast at the hotel, which mind you was not American, unless since I left the states America added fried banana, slices of white goat cheese, and fresh juice with peel and all (which I doubt). We had our general orientation for 3 hours where our organizers preceded to tell us every scary story about the traffic here, but I still think Mendoza is the worst.
Lunch was really good too at the hotel, I got to meet my mom Carla, she is so nice and she always wants to get you anything that you want, seriously no joke. I also have a host brother who is 20 and he speaks English and understands Spanish so it helps a lot. I also got to meet the girl from ucsb named melba who lived here with the family for a month and she tried to tell me everything about the city and what to do in 2 hours. So my brain hurts because I am thinking too much about Portuguese.

No comments:

Post a Comment